Sometimes referred to as the “black cloud,” depression is a debilitating psychological disorder that affects approximately 6% of all Australian’s aged between 16 and 85 every year. It can have an impact on many areas of your life including work, social, and intimate relationships.
Causes and risks associated with depression
Depression is thought to be caused by a combination of factors including: genetics, brain chemistry, physical ill-ness/injury, stressful life events (e.g. unemployment, loss of a loved one, and relationship breakdowns), personality traits, and gender. Whilst thoughts of suicide or death are common in people with depression, any concerns about risk of harm should be taken seriously and assessed by a professional immediately. Please contact 000 or Lifeline in case of an emergency.
Symptoms of depression
Symptoms of depression may include:
- Feelings of sadness, anger, or irritability
- Decreased interest in activities that you once enjoyed
- Increased or decreased appetite/weight gain
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Sleeping more or less than usual
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
Treatment options available for depression
The good news is, depression can be treated! And there are many treatment options available including:
- Psychology or counselling services
- Medication, specifically antidepressants
- Regular exercise
- Relaxation training and mindfulness
Other options may include:
- improving social networks
- joining support groups
- maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle
We’re here to help
If you or anyone you know is suffering from symptoms of depression, we operate affordable psychology clinics at both our Gold Coast and Mt Gravatt campuses.
- No referrals required.
- Open to the public.
- Your choice of treatment by either a registered psychologist (fully-qualified) or provisionally registered (students in the final years of study under supervision from a registered clinical psychologist).
- Therapy sessions only $20 (in our provisionally registered student clinics).
- Individual and group-based psychology sessions available.
- Personalised treatment programs for children, adolescents, couples and families.
- Full cognitive and behavioural assessments from $300.
- Unlimited therapy sessions available with provisionally registered psychologists (no GP mental health place required).
Find out more
Our friendly, highly trained staff are available between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday. For a confidential discussion please call us on 1800 188 295 or email [email protected]
Beyond Blue: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/types-of-anxiety or call 1300 22 4636
Lifeline: CRISIS LINE ph: 13 11 14