Our gut microbiome plays an important role in our overall health. Evidence suggests having a diverse range of gut bacteria is beneficial for our physical and mental health.
Including more plant foods in your diet is an easy way to increase the diversity of your gut microbiome. The latest research recommends adults consume 30 different plant foods per week. While this may seem like a lot, including a variety of different fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and pulses each day really adds up! Use the graphic below to find ideas on the 30 plant foods you can try.
Any time is a great time to experiment with new foods. Here are some easy ways to increase your plant foods over the week:
- Adding extra vegetables to soups and stews
- Adding leafy green vegetables like kale or spinach to your morning smoothie
- Popping a can of chickpeas in curries or salads
- Topping your morning oats with frozen berries
- Adding lentils to your next spaghetti bolognese
If you’d like to discover other ways you can incorporate healthy eating into your lifestyle, contact the Griffith Health Clinics Dieticians on 1800 188 295. We’re located on the Gold Coast Campus, G40, Level 4. You can also follow Griffith Health Clinics on Facebook and Instagram.